Tuesday, February 26, 2019

First Lesson


“Hey Alex, that’s not the way to think. In God’s eyes we’re all equal.” I said, trying to appeal in vain to his African sense of religiosity.
 “It’s true you are poor, but you’re young, healthy and strong, and you’re intelligent. You must believe in yourself and stop believing in all the things that beat you down, and if you really want, I mean really want, things will change.”

As I spoke, Alex’s attention seemed riveted, as if to a truth heard for very the first time; and it seemed his demeanor had changed, from one of despondency to hope, as though the seeds of my words, nourished by the longings of his heart were germinating before my eyes. And I knew that for both of us nothing would ever be the same again.

“Do you want to be an artist, I mean learn to draw? I can teach you.”
At this suggestion his eyes widened with a look of excitement, bordering on disbelief.
“ Can I do that? Will you teach me, really?” He said, searching my face for signs of insincerity.
“If you really want to learn, if you’re prepared to work hard and persevere, because perseverance is the main thing; to be able to keep going; to keep your goal in sight no matter what other people say or think; you just keep going on an adventure, leaving behind what you know and discovering something new.”

The first lesson began. I explained that drawing and painting were one thing, but more important was how you did that thing. This was the art of the art. We talked for two or three hours. I explained line, tone, light and colour, contrast and visual storytelling. I explained the world, not as he knew it but how he would learn to know it. It was enough for one day, and we arranged to meet the following morning; and after that we met everyday. While I drew, building up a visual diary of the village, he was at my side, watching intently, hanging on every mark I made. Curiously, he knew even before I did when a drawing was finished. “You’ve got it” he would shout. At first I would carry on but, then I soon learned to trust his judgment.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Letter #6

“I don’t know” she said, shaking her head and looking embarrassed. Alex spoke to the proprietor in Chechewa. Words went over and back betw...