Thursday, June 20, 2019

"Letter" #3


There were four paintings in Alex’s letter. One was a copy of the photograph I had sent him. He said, in slightly broken English:
“ The portrait of Cliff Clipps and myself was very difficult to made. I did it four times to make it and the fifth one has been successful. But I am trying best to know better the water colors.”
Unfortunately there was a crease down the middle where it had been folded to fit in the envelope. I made a mental note to tell him not to do this in future. It was surprisingly accomplished, and the attention to detail was astonishing. Even though the use of paint showed inexperience, the overall effect was strong. In any case what was lacking would come in time, with practice and my guidance. I was impressed with this painting, especially at Alex’s perseverance; I mean, five attempts.
The other paintings were simple village scenes, and all but one showed real strength in composition, color and skill with materials. Later in the letter Alex wrote:
“I am spending all my time studying art, you know here there is nothing to work on, so art is my everything and in art I am having all hope to success and I will make it. I started painting shop doors and windows. As of now I have painted three shops and do lettering too. I have not been successful this time since I sold postcards to the mzungus (white people), no mzungus have arrived.”


No comments:

Post a Comment

Letter #6

“I don’t know” she said, shaking her head and looking embarrassed. Alex spoke to the proprietor in Chechewa. Words went over and back betw...