Wednesday, June 12, 2019

"Letter" #2


In the parcel I had sent Alex there was a set of water colours, some good quality brushes, drawing paper, watercolor paper and a folder with plastic sleeves that contained reproductions of etchings by Rembrandt and drawings by Van Gogh and Matisse, so that he could begin to appreciate, and learn from the great masters of Western art. In addition, there was a copy of Johannes Itten’s colour wheel, and a sheet of my teaching notes, entitled The Elements of Visual Art and Four Principles of Composition. I had also included a photo of him standing side by side with Cliff Clipps, looking vibrant and handsome, with broad smiles showing off bright white teeth that shone magnificently against rich warm chocolate color of their faces. Whenever I looked at this photograph, which was pinned to my studio wall, I was amazed at the bright, happy energy it gave off; the great souls of these two young men, as they stood swelled with pride in front of the camera. In the letter I sent with the parcel I suggested that it might be a good exercise to make a painting from this photograph.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Letter #6

“I don’t know” she said, shaking her head and looking embarrassed. Alex spoke to the proprietor in Chechewa. Words went over and back betw...